Monday, August 1, 2011

Trying out new glazes....



Here's the results of my glaze experiments for the day. The first pendant (lotus blossom) is the new glaze technique. I used Triple Thick Gloss Glaze by Decoart. I mixed a bit of my ink tint in with it for the color. I'm really happy with the outcome. It's actually just a bit more shiney using this glaze than my usual Studio by Sculpey Glossy Glaze (this glaze has been discontinued by Polyform). The second picture of the square heart is the Studio by Sculpey Glossy Glaze (which will always be my fav). They look fairly similar. I am hoping for the same results in my other designs. I'll post pics as I go.
P.S. If anyone has any comments or info on using Triple Thick Gloss Glaze I'd love for you to comment:) I've never used it so I don't know a lot about it. Okay, so I have really been researching this whole polymer clay 'glazing' process for several days now. I never thought much about it as I was happy with my old product. However, now being forced into finding something new it seems that the professional p/c crafters highly recommend "Water Based Varathane Diamond Polyurethane Interior" for all their glazing needs. See this link for a wonderful explanation by polymer clay artist SaraJane . For more info on using Varathane check out Polymer Clay Web.
Mossyowls.blogspot.com is another great site for more info on glazing (plus a ton of info on creating with p/clay)...
Wow, now that's what I'm talking about....Tina Holden, polymer clay artist of Beadcomber Originals has the perfect formula for making faux ceramic on p/c. Take a look at her gorgeous pendants (looks just like ceramic...I need to get some mica powder today!!) In my research it seems that the Fimo Gel is hard to find in the U.S. I think it has to be specially ordered from Europe. I'll post more on how to purchase Fimo Gel when I find a source.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...